BlogHer is the leading premium cross-platform media network and publisher for women in social media. We help Fortune 500 brands reach 39 million women each month (March 2012, Nielson Site Census) via our premium publishing network of women’s blogs, the largest conferences for women interested in social media, and original research on women in this space. BlogHer is a community and media company created in partnership with women in social media.
Lisa Stone, Elisa Camahort Page and Jory Des Jardins founded BlogHer in 2005 after realizing that women lacked visibility in the quickly growing blogosphere. The founders envisioned an entirely new kind of media network, working with the most valuable consumer -- women who control 83 percent of household spending.
BlogHer’s mission `to create opportunities for women who blog to gain exposure, education, community and economic empowerment` come to life every day as we facilitate and curate a community that empowers our members and creates value for all. At BlogHer.com, you’ll find the best conversations led by women in social media. A curated selection of authentic voices. Life well said.
To build its business model BlogHer builds a bridge between brands and bloggers via the following venues:
• BlogHer Conferences: The world’s largest conferences for women in social media
• The BlogHer Publishing Network: Supporting 3,000 blog communities, the largest, quality-focused network of blogs authored by women
• BlogHer Visionaries: The Web’s leading guide to the hottest news and trends among women in social media, renowned as a community where women speak their minds on every topic from politics to parenting in an atmosphere of integrity and respect, and a source for proprietary research that delivers insights about how to best reach women where they are on the Internet
Via these lines of business BlogHer creates unique opportunities for two sets of customers:
1. Social media influencers and their audiences – creating opportunities for millions of women actively using and consuming social media to pursue education, exposure, community and economic empowerment
2. Brands and brand marketers – as a bridge between brands and bloggers, BlogHer helps build relationships with target customers via integrated opportunities for authentic conversations and experiences. BlogHer’s network reaches the highest concentration of digitally savvy women and active audience online today, and brings creative services to help brands reach and leverage the influence these women have on their communities who trust them
BlogHer is run by its three co-founders and a team of 65+ employees via offices in New York and Silicon Valley. We are proud to have venture backing from Venrock, Comcast Interactive Capital and Azure Capital Partners.
The three BlogHer co-founders have strengthened BlogHer’s role as a trusted and visionary new media pioneer, and were collectively named as one of Katie Couric’s “7 Most Powerful People in New Media” for Forbes.com in 2009. In 2010, BlogHer was included on the AlwaysOn Global 250 List of private companies to watch and named one of America’s Most Promising Start-ups by Businessweek. While these public accolades mean a great deal to us, even more resonant is the years-long relationships we have with leading women who blog, who turn away other media companies in favor of BlogHer as their publisher, and with leading Fortune 10 advertisers with whom we have grown profitable relationships.