TIE50 Screening & Judging Methodology
TiE50 awards program incorporates standard multiple regression techniques combined with a comprehensive evaluation, screening and judging process. All processes are designed and validated at various levels to deliver a transparent, robust and fool-proof system.
1. Registration : Any individual, founder, CTO, or authorized representative of a technology startup can register their company. Nominating individual must use a website domain email address. Additionally, technology hubs worldwide can first register on our portal and subsequently use a special interface for their hub to register unlimited number of startups that are member companies. Registration can only be done exclusively online on the TiE50 portal www.tie50.net. Incomplete nominations or incorrect contact details automatically disqualify the registry. No further contact will be made. Successfully completed registrations are automatically confirmed by email. Thousands of companies representing virtually every technology hotbed community worldwide are expected to participate.
2. Qualification : Companies are first qualified by ensuring that they meet the criteria set for what constitutes a startup. To qualify, companies must be privately held. The qualification process is relatively loose and most companies that fit the general qualifications can participate.
3. Segment Expert Screening : A team of carefully chosen panel of segment experts with direct domain experience screen the companies. Scoring is done on each company’s IP, business model, and team.
4. Top Startups: Upon successful screening of companies, a list of "2013 TiE50 Top Startups" will be announced. These companies are chosen based on their mix of attributes that demonstrate the highest probability of success.
5. General Judging Process : This select list of "2013 TiE50 Top Startups" are further reviewed by a team of expert judges who are Serial Entrepreneurs, Venture Capitalists, Angel Investors, CEOs, and well rounded Technology Experts. These companies are subjected to a higher level of diligence and screening by these experienced panel of judges. There will be 7 judges for each vertical segment. Judge identities are strictly confidential. A user-friendly judging interface allows judges to make notes, review company information multiple times, prior to submitting final scores. Upon final submission, the scores will be locked-in and validated. The short-listed companies are announced as "2013 TiE50 Finalists".
6. Judging Parameters : Each company will be evaluated on three parameters – Business Model, IP Value, and Leadership Team. Each parameter will be scored on a 10 point scale. The interface will be very user friendly for judges to tag specific companies, make notes/remarks for them to go back later, and compare with other companies for any reason.
7. Confidentiality : Judges will work independently and will not know the scores or identities of the other judges. Judges are selected only by invitation and are subject to TiE Silicon Valley's strict confidentiality guidelines. Judges’ identities, their affiliations, company representations, scoring patterns, and all information related to their participation in the TiE50 selection process will be held confidential and permanently archived for future internal reference.
8. Validation : All judge scores are consolidated for all three parameters and weighted. Multiple regression analytics are used. Final scores are further validated to eliminate extreme scoring patterns and the selection of the TiE50 Winners for 2013. Individual scores are authenticated in written form with judge signatures and held on file.
9. Winner Announcements: The very best of the best "2013 TiE50 Winners" are announced at TiEcon 2013, the world's largest conference for entrepreneurs. TiE50 Winners will benefit from the thousands of attendees. This is unique opportunity to get visibility amongst some of the leading venture capitalists, angel investors, incubators, technology hubs, serial entrepreneurs, elite charter membership, industry experts, top-tier technology press, and other technology buffs.